What I know
Hello world. I’m Stephen Easley-Walsh, owner and author of Maths Grinds dot ie and here is a little something about me. Firstly, my education background, I hold an honours Bachelors of Mathematics from Trinity College Dublin (which is ranked 1st in Ireland and in the top 100 world universities by the QS World University Rankings). I also hold an honours Masters of Science for Mathematical-Physics from University College Dublin. That’s the Mathematical and the Physics background but I also have a Higher Diploma in Computer Science from Griffith College Dublin. And finally I have finished my MSc in Data Analytics from AIT, this was a program I finished 6 months early. So as you can see, I’m all about the studying the quantitative 🙂
I have been teaching and lecturing full-time now since 2007 and even longer part-time, since 2000. (As a requirement of my day job I’m fully Garda vetted and certified through Barnardos in Children First, Child Protection Training. I’m also registered with the Teaching Council of Ireland.) Right now, I am tutoring at Study Group in UCD. I am a Mathematics and Physics tutor for them. Study Group provides what is called an International Foundation Year. This is targeted at international students that have English as a second language. Basically, they are taught subjects that are related to what they want to study at university, to about a first year level. By the end of the year my students would be ready to start their studies at UCD.
Working where I do has given me the chance to teach a huge diversity of students. I teach students from all around the globe! Having students from so many diverse backgrounds challenges me as a teacher to find the best learning devices to ensure maximum academic achievement. This has developed my teaching skills by equipping me with the knowledge to cater for students with different needs and skill levels from different walks of life.
Outside The 9-to-5
That is my day job, now, a lot of my evenings are taken up with Maths Grinds. I have been providing Maths Grinds for students of all levels. I have helped students in Primary school all the way up to Masters level. From basic Arithmetic up to Advanced Calculus.
When I have free time I do enjoy taking online classes with Coursera and other online learning websites. And I’m always looking to learn something new. And of course I do love to read a good non-fiction book, who doesn’t? 🙂 Talking of written works, I also share my worksheets online.
I am also a bit of a coder. I do enjoy writing a nice little script to solve a particular problem I might be working on. It could be scraping a site for data or generating suitable Maths problems for my students to work on. I have even made a couple of Kodi Add-ons. Mostly I code in python since it is the most enjoyable to code. And of course I’m comfortable with Linux and bash since I am running this website off of a raspberry pi.
Also, I spend some of my free time making videos for both youtube and my personal video solution page and of course writing on my blog. And I do wish I had more time for this but the teaching and the grinds keep me busy.
- BA Mathematics — Trinity College Dublin
- MSc Mathematical-Physics — University College Dublin
- Certificate in Data Science — John Hopkins University
- Certificate in English Language Teaching — Dublin School of English
- Higher Diploma in Science in Computing — Griffith College Dublin
- Masters in Data Analytics — Athlone IT
My Work Experience:
- Tutor — Study Group UCD (March 2021 – Present) Full-Time Tutor of Computer Programming, Mathematics and Physics
- Lecturer — Dublin International Foundation College (January 2008 – March 2021) Lecturer of Mathematics for Science & Engineering, Mathematics for Business, Statistics for Research Methods, Applied Mathematics, Physics, Topology, Computer Programming and Computer Skills
- Consultant — Stormlands Data Ltd (2017) Consultant of Data Science for Stormlands Data Ltd
- Judge — The Education Awards 2017 (2017) University Judge for The Education Awards 2017
- Tutor — Griffith College Dublin (June 2015 — May 2016) Tutor of LC Maths (H) and LC Physics (H)
- Exam Writer — The University of Manchester (January 2012 – 2014 Part-Time) Exam Writer in Science & Engineering Mathematics
- Teacher — St Michael’s College, Ailesbury Road, Ballsbridge (September 2012 – May 2013 Part-Time) Exam Writer in Science & Engineering Mathematics
- Teacher — St Colmcille’s Community School, Ballyboden (September 2008 – May 2009 Part-Time) Teacher of Applied Mathematics
- Teacher — St. Mary’s College CSSp, Rathmines (September 2006 – May 2007 Part-Time) Teacher of Applied Mathematics
- Tutor — UCD’s Mathematical-Science Department and Support Centre (September 2006 – May 2007 Part-Time) Tutor of Mathematics
- Exam Corrector — The Dublin Examination Board, Clondalkin (2007, Summer Part-Time) Corrector of Mock Leaving Certificate papers
- Teacher — St. Kevin’s Community College, Clondalkin (September 2005 – May 2005 Part-Time) Teacher of Mathematics